Do you have depression? Do you ever feel depressed? In the midst of seasons that are supposed to be full of joy, do you just feel miserable? Well, I’ve been in that boat too, and with what my family has walked through recently, I know what that feels like. Call me a grinch, but I’m almost ready for the radio stations to stop playing Christmas music. How do you deal with depression? The following may or may not be beneficial to you depending on your circumstances.
1. Acknowledge and accept the circumstances of your situation and your mental health.
2. Get help for the depression. Go see a counselor. No, you’re not a crazy person for needing therapy. Well, we’re all a little crazy, and everyone needs therapy. You and your counselor will decide on the best treatment options for the depression. Fortunately, there are many options available.
3. Surround yourself with light. Physical light helps you see through the emotional darkness of depression. Physical darkness can worsen your depression, make you feel awful, and can lead to detrimental thoughts. Go look at Christmas lights, take a walk in the sunlight, or simply turn on a lamp.
4. Ask God for strength. As believers, we have an extra source of strength. We don’t just have to rely on our own resources and strength.
5. Surround yourself with people. You may not feel like being around people, but sometimes you need to make yourself be around people. Isolation is a dangerous place, and being around people, especially people who encourage you, can lift your spirits.